Wich hardware suits best for large full-text indexed databases

From: Diogo Biazus <diogo(at)ikono(dot)com(dot)br>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Wich hardware suits best for large full-text indexed databases
Date: 2004-03-30 21:55:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi folks,

I have a database using tsearch2 to index 300 000 documents.
I've already have optimized the queries, and the database is vacuumed on
a daily basis.
The stat function tells me that my index has aprox. 460 000 unique words
(I'm using stemmer and a nice stopword list).
The problem is performance, some queries take more than 10 seconds to
execute, and I'm not sure if my bottleneck is memory or io.
The server is a Athlon XP 2000, HD ATA133, 1.5 GB RAM running postgresql
7.4.3 over freebsd 5.0 with lots of shared buffers and sort_mem...

Does anyone has an idea of a more cost eficient solution?
How to get a better performance without having to invest some
astronomicaly high amount of money?

TIA,

--
Diogo Biazus