Re: Spontaneous PostgreSQL Server Reboot?

From: Geoffrey <esoteric(at)3times25(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Spontaneous PostgreSQL Server Reboot?
Date: 2004-03-30 18:22:08
Lists: pgsql-admin
Andrew Biagioni wrote:

> I just got a suggestion to run badblocks and memtest86, to check the
>  hardware;  that and an updated kernel should help me figure out what
> is going on...

It seems to me that since you reported the problem on three different
machines, you should be looking for a common problem.  Having bad ram in
all three machines I would find unlikely, even if it is all the same
batch.  Same would seem to apply to hard drives.  I'd be more suspect of
power fluctuations, heat issues.  Those things that can affect multiple
machines the same way, that is, if they are in the same location, using
the same power source.

I wouldn't rule out memory or drives, but I'd likely look for something
that affects all the machines.  Common batches of ram, drives or
identical motherboards could be a possibility, but I don't think as
likely as power and/or heat issues.