Re: Spontaneous PostgreSQL Server Reboot?

From: Andrew Biagioni <andrew(dot)biagioni(at)e-greek(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Spontaneous PostgreSQL Server Reboot?
Date: 2004-03-30 16:00:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

Tom Lane wrote:
> Andrew Biagioni <andrew(dot)biagioni(at)e-greek(dot)net> writes:
>
>>On three different machines running the same PostgreSQL version (7.3.5)
>>on Linux and almost identical databases, I have been plagued by
>>occasional, unexplainable (to me) reboots of the computer.
>

> Postgres can *not* cause a system reboot; it's only an unprivileged user
> process. (but see *) You are dealing with either kernel bugs, hardware
> errors, or some other root-level process requesting a reboot.

This is one thing I was hoping to hear; any hints on kernel bug issues
(or logs of causes)?

> Even though it being three different machines would seem to rule out
> hardware issues, I'd not jump to that conclusion ... you might be having
> some kind of common-mode hardware failure. Two questions to ask here:
> * did you buy all the RAM from the same vendor?
> * is the power utility flaky where you live? (If you say "but
> I've got a UPS", how old are its batteries?)
>
> My money would be on a kernel bug though. Are you up2date on kernel
> patches?

kernel patches, yes; kernel versions, no...

> regards, tom lane
>
> (*) ObFinePrint: at least, PG can't directly trigger a reboot. One
> scenario to think about is flaky RAM in an address range that doesn't
> get used until the machine is under significant load --- since you say
> Postgres is the only significant load on the machine, it's entirely
> possible that triggering of a hardware failure is closely correlated to
> what Postgres is doing. Similar remarks apply to broken disk hardware.

I just got a suggestion to run badblocks and memtest86, to check the
hardware; that and an updated kernel should help me figure out what is
going on...

Thanks,

Andrew