Re: Spontaneous PostgreSQL Server Reboot?

From: Andrew Biagioni <andrew(dot)biagioni(at)e-greek(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Spontaneous PostgreSQL Server Reboot?
Date: 2004-03-30 13:47:36
Lists: pgsql-admin

the answer is "no" to all of these.  We are a tiny start-up (2 guys, and
we do our own cleaning);  ambient temperature varies significantly but
is not related to the failure, and one machine starts beeping when it
gets too hot (then we added an extra case fan);  no fancy watchdogs
(maybe someday...  One can only dream :-> );  three different cases,
power supplies, motherboards, etc., etc. (one power supply is
extra-large, and that's the machine that started failing first!).

We originally blamed the problem on hardware failure (first machine);
then on OS version/configuration (second machine);  now we're out of
things to blame, except maybe unusually bad luck...