Re: Spontaneous PostgreSQL Server Reboot?

From: Geoffrey <esoteric(at)3times25(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Spontaneous PostgreSQL Server Reboot?
Date: 2004-03-30 10:55:52
Lists: pgsql-admin
Alex Satrapa wrote:
> Andrew Biagioni wrote:
>
>> On three different machines running the same PostgreSQL version
>> (7.3.5) on Linux and almost identical databases, I have been
>> plagued by occasional, unexplainable (to me) reboots of the
>> computer.
>

> 1) Do you have a software watchdog that is configured to reboot the
> machine when it isn't tickled? The watchdog might possibly be
> rebooting because the machine is under heavy load, or perhaps someone
> forgot to enable the watchdog tickler.

There's also the possibility that the motherboard has temperature
monitor and could likely shutdown if the temperature runs too high.  Is
the machine properly cooled?  Does it have plenty of space so as to have
the proper air flow?  What's the processor type? (we all know amd
processors run hotter).