Re: Spontaneous PostgreSQL Server Reboot?

From: Alex Satrapa <alex(at)lintelsys(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Spontaneous PostgreSQL Server Reboot?
Date: 2004-03-30 04:44:11
Lists: pgsql-admin

Andrew Biagioni wrote:
> On three different machines running the same PostgreSQL version (7.3.5)
> on Linux and almost identical databases, I have been plagued by
> occasional, unexplainable (to me) reboots of the computer.

1) Do you have a software watchdog that is configured to reboot the machine when it isn't tickled? The watchdog might possibly be rebooting because the machine is under heavy load, or perhaps someone forgot to enable the watchdog tickler.

2) Was there anyone in the machine room at the time? One office that I worked in suffered random power outages to several machines for weeks on end, until we figured out that the cleaner was unplugging the main Ethernet switch to use the power point for their vacuum cleaner.

3) Are the power supplies up to scratch? some power supplies just can't handle the load when you run disk and processor heavily for minutes on end. The result is the same as a brown-out or black-out - power disappears, machine reboots.

Hope this helps prod someone's memory!
Alex