Re: PG vs MySQL

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Alex <alex(at)meerkatsoft(dot)com>
Cc: Frank Finner <postgresql(at)finner(dot)de>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG vs MySQL
Date: 2004-03-29 21:42:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Alex wrote:

> MySQL is still the default database offered by any web hosting company
> and if Postgres wants to become the designated db engine for these
> services or become the worlds no.1 open source db then i think lots of
> things need to be done. Take for example the admin interface (MySQL
> Administrator) for MySQL which is done very professionally or the ease
> of setting up Replication. Postgres still is quite far behind there and
> for normal users that know MySQL best the transition is probably a too
> big step and risk.

How easy is it to setup a reliable replication with failover, switchover
and especially switchback? I have never done that in MySQL, but you seem
to know quite a bit about it. If I have one master and 3 slaves, and I
need to shutdown the master for maintenance purposes, what do I have to
do to switch over to one of the slaves, let the other two slaves
replicate against that new master, and when I'm done and the original
master could take over again, what's the procedure to get it back into
the master role? Keep in mind that our databases are quite a few
gigabytes in size and that longer interruption of accessibility is not
acceptable (that's what we do that replication stuff for in the first
place).

If you don't know the answers to that, I assume it isn't that easy as
people try to make believe. And in case the answer is "that is not
possible but ...", then you better think again what you want that
replication setup for.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #