Re: Flush to Disk

From: Manfred Spraul <manfred(at)colorfullife(dot)com>
To: Diego Montenegro <diego(dot)montenegro(at)yale(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Flush to Disk
Date: 2004-03-28 18:21:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Diego Montenegro wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>Can anyone point me to where in the code does Postgres Flush all the
>Data to disk???
>When XLogFlush is called, it only flushes the XLOG to disk, right? Does
>the entire Data get flushed at the same time as the Log?

in src/backend/storage/smgr/md.c, mdsync(): During a checkpoint, the
whole system cache is synced to the disk.
Note that checkpoints should be rare - I think every few minutes. The
xlog contains enough data to recover a transaction after a system crash,
therefore only the xlog is forced to the disk during transaction commit.

--
    Manfred