Philosophical question

From: Mihai Tanasescu <Mihai(dot)Tanasescu(at)skyraven(dot)pcnet(dot)ro>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Philosophical question
Date: 2004-03-27 20:37:10
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello,

I have a very strange question to ask of you...I've just recently
installed postgre sql and have started looking through the pg_hba.conf
file trying to setup access to the databases I have while I stumbled
into a very philosophical type of question.
I can specify which databases a user is allowed to connect to, but I
don't get the true meaning of this as if I allow the user to connect to
all databases without having any grant on any tables of those databases
then I achieve a secure enough environment without specifying access
only to a particular database.

What would be a practical example of the usage of the databases
parameter there ?