Re: 7.4.2 on Solaris 9 - Error

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: Carmen Gloria Sepulveda Dedes <csepulveda(at)atichile(dot)com>,pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.4.2 on Solaris 9 - Error
Date: 2004-03-25 13:27:21
Lists: pgsql-general
Kris Jurka wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Carmen Gloria Sepulveda Dedes wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I want to install postgres 7.4.2 on solaris 9.
>>
>> I configure with:  ./configure --enable-thread-safety
>> and it works fine (no error).
>>
>> When I do "gmake", I get this error:
>>
>> thread.c: In function `pqGetpwuid':
>> thread.c:116: error: too many arguments to function `getpwuid_r'
>> make[3]: *** [thread.o] Error 1
>> make[3]: Leaving directory
>> `/home/postgres/postgresql-7.4.2/src/interfaces/libpq'
>> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
>> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/postgres/postgresql-7.4.2/src/interfaces'
>> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/postgres/postgresql-7.4.2/src'
>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>>
>> Anybody knows the problem?
>>

> This problem was just recently fixed in cvs and will go out in the 7.4.3
> release.  For no your best bet is to checkout the 7.4 branch from cvs, or
> search the pgsql-committers archives to find the patch you need to apply.

Isn't that funny ... I just yesterday ran into the same problem with
7.4.2 on Solaris.

One other problem I am looking into (and why I tried to compile with
thread safety in the first place) is that this somehow did not turn on
-D_REENTRANT in the CFLAGS for libpq. And that leads to libpq not using
the threadsafe definition of errno, leading to serious communication
trouble in the end (pqReadData() failing with ENOENT while the real
error is a harmless EAGAIN from a nonblocking recv()).

Jan