Re: subversion vs cvs (Was: Re: linked list rewrite)

From: David Garamond <lists(at)zara(dot)6(dot)isreserved(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: subversion vs cvs (Was: Re: linked list rewrite)
Date: 2004-03-24 19:45:26
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Frank Wiles wrote:
>>Why? not that I'm for a chance from something that isn't broken, but
>>what advantages does subversion give us over what we already have?
>
> Subversion has lots of "little" benefits, but nothing that would be
> a major incentive to switch. The biggest benefits I can think of
> of the top of my head are:
>
> * Commits are actually atomic
> * protocol sends diffs in both directions which speeds up everything
> * branching and tagging are cheap constant time operations
> * the time it takes to make changes is based on the size of the
> change, not the size of the project
> * whole directories are versioned not just files. So for example
> if you for some reason wanted to rename src/backend/bootstrap.c
> to src/backend/bootup.c you wouldn't lose your revision history
> information. Same thing goes for complete reorganizations of the
> file layouts.

Actually, the things you mentioned are pretty "major", as most of the
above are really broken/painful to do/very slow in CVS. But, all of
those probably will not motivate a seasoned CVS user enough to migrate.

So one might ask, what *will* motivate a die-hard CVS user? A real-close
Bitkeeper clone? :-)

--
dave