Re: pg_ctl

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32 <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_ctl
Date: 2004-03-24 16:39:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
Tom Lane wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
>

>>Are we now in a state where it would make sense to look at doing pg_ctl
>>in C?
>>

>Why bother?  I should think that Windows users want to run PG as a service.

Not unreasonable. Maybe someone who uses/distributes a commercial
Windows version can inform us about usage patterns. If that's what we
decide we should remove this from the Win32 page:

. Create C version of pg_ctl?

And while on the subject of that page, this issue should now be fixed
with the listen_addresses patch (which I hope someone can verify):

Postmaster must be started with -i flag, or with tcpip_socket = true in
postgresql.conf, else the postmaster will fail to start and issue the
following error:
|LOG: select() failed in postmaster: No such file or directory

cheers

andrew