Re: [pgadmin-support] Compilation problems

From: Raphaël Enrici <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>
To: Diego <diegoman(at)usuarios(dot)retecal(dot)es>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Adam H(dot)Pendleton" <fmonkey(at)fmonkey(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] Compilation problems
Date: 2004-03-21 19:10:57
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgadmin-support

Hi Diego,

Diego wrote:

>Hi, Raphaël. At last I've been able to compile pgadmin using your patch,
>thank you.

You're welcome.

> In my first attempt, I got an undefined reference to PQgetssl
>(the same error that Dirk Dil reports on the thread you pointed), but I
>solved it recompiling Postgresql with ssl support.

What is strange here is that the SSL build should not be attempted if
libpq does not handle SSL inside...

>Just one more comment: Though the --enable-static option is selected, the
>binary you get is still using shared libraries. The makefile invokes
>"-lcrypt -lssl -lcrypto", which, as far as I know, make gcc use shared
>libraries when "--static" option is not used. Is this a security issue?

Which args did you pass to configure exactly ?
Don't know if it's a side effect or a real will. The fact is that it did
exactly what I wanted for my Debian purposes: link statically wx and the
rest in shared mode...

>The compilation went fine. Did I something wrong or it's OK to do
>that?

That's for sure not the best way to do this, but you got what you wanted
isn't it ? ;)
I'm CCing that mail to Adam H. Pendleton who is THE configure man for
pgAdmin3... To me there are numerous issues described here which should
be taken in consideration.

Adam: the patch I sent to the list in the previous mail is simply a
backport of what we do in 1.1.0 cvs branch. I also added a correction
you did to src/Makefile.am to solve the SSL build issue (if you
remember, it was just the '-I $(WX_HOME)' stuff which was giving a -I
-DSSL while in the build process). I had no time to overlook what was
going on exactly, but may be it would be interesting to investigate...

Diego, you didn't answer concerning the OS you try to build on... Some
kind of secret ? :)
We stay in touch, it may be a good thing that you send your
config.log.gz to pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org

Regards,
Raphaël