Re: Dynamic IP authentication

From: Mitch Pirtle <mitchy(at)spacemonkeylabs(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Dynamic IP authentication
Date: 2004-03-19 20:14:19
Lists: pgsql-admin
Sam Barnett-Cormack wrote:

 > On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Richard Dockery wrote:
 >

 >> Does anyone know a way of authenticating client applications with
dynamic IP
 >> addresses?  All our client machines are receiving dynamic IP
addresses.  Is
 >> there a way to set up the pg_hba file to allow for this, or is there
another
 >> way to configure connections so as not to use this file?
 >> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
 >> Thank you!
 >

 > Open access to the whole IP range, but require passwords. I think you
 > can wrap in SSL as well.

This is what I do, and now I won't let non-SSL connections through.  The
pg_hba.conf entry that lets me connect over SSL from anywhere looks like
this:

     hostssl  all  mitchy  0.0.0.0   0.0.0.0   password

Of course you need to configure your database box with an SSL key, which
is well documented.

-- Mitch