Re: pgadmin error - sql window

From: Doug Easterbrook <doug(at)artsman(dot)com>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: "Strasser, Rudolf" <rudolf(dot)strasser(at)intel(dot)com>, "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgadmin error - sql window
Date: 2011-11-17 14:57:50
Lists: pgadmin-support

hi Guillaume/Rudolf

I'd like to add a comment or two to this that might help point the issue in a direction.

I've been using pgadmin 1.14 with postgres 9.1.1 for the past month or so and it has been working fine for me. (I use OSX 10.6.8)

then one day I could connect to the server, but going to the SQL window would hang on me. I had no clue what was going on. Simply hang and chew up a huge amount of CPU. Eventually, if I didn't kill PGadmin, it would cause my machine to die a slow horrible death and I'd need to restart.

I tried reinstalling - still had issues.
Finally, I went to my home directory and deleted the .pgadmin_histoqueries file and PGadmin started to work.

The same thing happened again a couple of days later and I had to do the same thing, delete the .pgadmin_histoqueries to get it to work again.

What was the difference that I got hurt only those two days. Well, in those two days I was pasting in a lot of rather long stored procedures to the SQL window. these procedures were about 300 lines each.

Once you've done 9 or 10 pastes of large functions (they are each saved in the histoquery file), then I'd see the issue.

In other words, the histoquery file was full of stored procedure code and not the typical small queries.

Clearing fixed it. I did that a second time that day, clearing fixed it. I did it 2 days later, clearing fixed it.

I've only pasted a few large stored procedures in recently, but I've simply made it a practice to do some normal queries before I quit.

Not sure if those are the same symptoms, but its is how I made PGadmin fail opening the SQL browser.

Doug Easterbrook
Arts Management Systems Ltd.
mailto:doug(at)artsman(dot)com
http://www.artsman.com