Re: Impact of UNICODE encoding on performance

From: Reshat Sabiq <sabiq(at)purdue(dot)edu>
To: aarni(dot)ruuhimaki(at)kymi(dot)com
Cc: Harry Mantheakis <harry(at)mantheakis(dot)freeserve(dot)co(dot)uk>,pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Impact of UNICODE encoding on performance
Date: 2004-03-18 03:27:14
Lists: pgsql-novice
I'm not very knowledgeable on this, but i think you should try UTF-8
from the start, given your expectations. I am able to save UTF-8 strings
into LATIN-1 db, and retrieve them, using JDBC, but viewing them in
pgAdmin III is not a pretty site (understandably). But i haven't used it
extensively, and i think that queries (comparisons) might be affected
with this setup (i.e., a string with 2 characters corresponding to 1
UTF-8 character would be equal to the its UTF-8 counterpart, which is
clearly not intended). On the other hand, it is also conceivable that
queries won't be affected, if no meaningless overlaps like that can occur.
In general, i read that Unicode is somewhat slower (understandably), but
i don't think it's significant. One just needs to have a senseful
character comparison method that does a bitmap first, so i don't think
the overhead is big. There are probably studies on the web.

If you see my certificate with this message, you should be able to send me encrypted e-mail.
Please consult your e-mail client for details if you would like to do that.