The good, the bad and the ugly

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Ron <ron(at)debian(dot)org>
Subject: The good, the bad and the ugly
Date: 2004-03-16 23:50:42
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Hi friends,

I managed to get a fresh wx 2.5.1 head on my machines, and compiled
against them. I had to perform quite some corrections in pgAdmin3
sources, because the EVT_xxx macros are now much more restrictive. While
this resulted in a lot of work, we would have liked this much earlier.
It would have saved us a lot of time one year ago, when we realized
weird crashes resulting from event methods lacking the correct parameter.

Now the status of wx regarding pgAdmin3 requirements:

- Patch 828537 is solved, because the all-new wxCalendarCtrl doesn't
need it. Fine.
- 776217 is applied partly. That means that after just 9 months gtk
unicode clipboard pasting is fixed!!!! Now the other part for msw is
still open, which appears to be much less harmful since most win32 apps
use the unicode clipboard already (except for M$' VB6 <g> ). We might
have chances to get the rest fixed quite soon, because it's the gtk
fixes younger brother (hopefully less than 9 months).

- Font inheritance 816019 still missing. I'm out of arguments, all have
been posted exhaustively. Maybe we could try again with Ron's support?

That makes just one and a half patch remaining.
When porting to new platforms, plain wx cvs head may be used, only
sizing problems and ignored font settings should be expected.

Now for the ugly one: from now on, we'll need different wx snapshots for
older and younger sources. While cvs head is already corrected, older
versions won't run with newer wx snapshots. Fixing this is quite
straight forward (event methods are wxNotifyEvent, but should be
wxCommandEvent in most cases), quite dumb work.

A win32 snapshot is uploaded which lacks proper unicode support. I'll
create an updated patch for this, so we can beg somebody to finish patch
776217.

Regards,
Andreas

pgadmin-hackers by date