Re: Website Roundup

From: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: "Gavin M(dot) Roy" <gmr(at)ehpg(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Website Roundup
Date: 2004-03-16 20:59:33
Lists: pgsql-www
Hi!

First of all, here is the latest portal patch for those wishing to follow the
development:
http://www.alexey.beta.postgresql.org/files/portal-2004-03-13.diff.gz
Should be applied via
patch -p1 -E
in portal dir, as it removes some files.

I've set up a private CVS repo for this stuff, anyone wishing to see their
changes on the dev. version
http://www.alexey.beta.postgresql.org/
please send the patches directly to me.

Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> I've been fairly quietly watching the events of the pgsql-www list,
> those in the "website team" and those outside of the "team".  There are
> many opinions, many cooks in the kitchen, and little overall progress.
> As peoples time commitments and abilities vary, what I believe needs to
> happen, as I've heard others state as well, is we need to have someone
> step-up and manage the process of getting the series of sites to
> completion.  I'd be happy to take up that role if you all agree to it,
> or we need to find someone with the time and dedication to make it
> happen.  Alexey and others have come very far, but not far enough, and
> from my perspective there is no end in site, as there appears to not be
> any focused group or manager holding the reigns and coordinating
> development, testing, and implementation.

Right now I don't have time to work on the website. I added the pending tasks to
the project's tracker, so anyone wishing to help the development can grab one:
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgweb/task/tasklist.php

The tasks are for "phase 1" of course.

If you are serious about this management role, then I suggest going through the
list archives and writing a more verbose plan. Then do a checklist for phase 1,
so that it will be easier to track progress.

Then write the functional specification for next-gen website (phase 2+).

> My intention is not to step on any toes here, just to offer my opinion
> about where the www effort is, and where it's going (or more
> appropriately not).   If everyone's moving in the same direction, we'll
> no longer be in limbo but working together towards a common goal.  If
> I'm wrong about all this, please let me know.
>
> Please let me know what you think, and what we can do as a group and
> individually to get this done.

If you really want this project to head somewhere, then you'll need two more
people to work on the website:
1) A professional webdesigner;
2) An editor-in-chief.
Both of them should have a clue on web usability.

But what's really needed right now is lowering the barrier for contributing to
the website development. It is ridiculously high now.