Space Problems

From: "Eduardo Naschenweng" <eduardo(dot)naschenweng(at)digitro(dot)com(dot)br>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Space Problems
Date: 2004-03-16 20:33:43
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi, I has a problem with a production database Postgres 7.1.2.
Happens when finished free space disk.
Some important tables were empty with no reason.
I tried to find respectives files for tables with psql command :

select relfilenode from pg_class
where relname = '<table>';

 relfilenode
-------------
       19597
(1 row)

Then I found this file into /home2/postgres/data/base/18720 directory
$ ls -lh 19597
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres        0 Oct 30  2001 19597

First, it's look like empty. Second, the file date was too old for the
database.
But, looking into this directory, I found some files with date and size
compatibles with my old database (when works !)

$ ls -lh 1*
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres   182.0M Mar 11 16:23 108464
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres   204.0M Mar 11 16:23 108487
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres    94.8M Mar 11 16:23 108490
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres   268.6M Mar 11 16:23 118920
-rw-------    1 postgres postgres   206.1M Mar 11 16:23 118953

Then, I tried to find them into pg_class table, with pgsql :

# select * from pg_class where relfilenode in (108464,108487,108490,118920
118953);

 relname | reltype | relowner | relam | relfilenode | relpages | reltuples |
reltoastrelid | reltoastidxid | relhasindex | relisshared | relkind |
relnatts | relchecks | reltriggers | relukeys | relfkeys | relrefs |
relhaspkey | relhasrules | relhassubclass | relacl
---------+---------+----------+-------+-------------+----------+-----------+-
-------------+---------------+-------------+-------------+---------+---------
+-----------+-------------+----------+----------+---------+------------+-----
-------+----------------+--------
(0 rows)

The point is : I think some system table was corrupted. The files are still
in the directory, but it seems they are not referenced in the database
system ( couldn't find any relationship between pg_class table and them)
Have any way to restore them ??

I already restarted the database and executed vacuum command but didn't work

Could someone help me ?

Tks

Eduardo Naschenweng
Analista de Sistemas - APC
DÍGITRO TECNOLOGIA
E-mail: eduardo(dot)naschenweng(at)digitro(dot)com(dot)br
Fone:(0xx48) 281-7158
Fax:(0xx48) 281-7299
Site:www.digitro.com.br

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: dominique oulmasDate: 2004-03-16 20:58:35