Re: Finding slow queries?

From: Ron St-Pierre <rstpierre(at)syscor(dot)com>
To: Jessica Dalman <jessica_dalman(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Finding slow queries?
Date: 2004-03-12 17:06:11
Lists: pgsql-novice

Jessica Dalman wrote:

>Hello,
>
> I am a true newbie. I am brand new to postgres, and
>databases in general. If anyone has any tips to offer,
>I'd really appreciate it. I am trying to find which
>queries are the slowest from a web site which runs on
>top of postgres 7.4.1. I'm not sure what I need to
>do, though. I set the log_min_duration_statement to
>10000, but I don't see anything new being logged to
>the pg.log. Are these queries logged somewhere else,
>or do I need to change anything else in the conf?
>
> Like I said, any help anyone could offer would be
>great. I've inherited ownership of this web site just
>because I'm the most technical person around the
>nonprofit that I work for, but all that means is that
>I can program the time into my VCR. :)
>
>Thanks!
>Jess

>Yahoo! Search - Find what you’re looking for faster
>http://search.yahoo.com

On the off-chance that you haven't seen these docs yet, here are links
to fine tuning your postgresql settings:
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/perf.html
http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/annotated_conf_e.html

And remember that you should VACUUM FULL ANALYZE your database regularly
(more often if there are a lot of updates/deletes). If this hasn't been
performed recenlty you would probably notice a large performance
increase after running it.

Ron