Re: [HACKERS] The Name Game: postgresql.net vs. pgfoundry.org

From: David Garamond <lists(at)zara(dot)6(dot)isreserved(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] The Name Game: postgresql.net vs. pgfoundry.org
Date: 2004-03-12 10:03:55
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-www
Michael Glaesemann wrote:
> Just to speak up (as an avid lurker), I agree with Jeroen that this
> distinction is quite subtle and may cause confusion. Some may even
> expect the two to resolve to the same site, as a lot of popular sites
> own .com/.net/.org, all resolving to the same site.

Speaking of .com vs .net vs .org, anyone remember the mysql.com vs
mysql.org fiasco?

Anyway, if I can vote, I'll vote for postgresql.net (for the lack of
better choices). I agree with Tom that "pgfoundry" is kind of random.
It's not apparent at all that it's a PostgreSQL entity. Besides, Tom &
Marc is already listed as the registrant of several domains including
postgresql.com. Why not use them?

Also, we're targetting the developers right? Please do not consider
ourselves as being too stupid to differentiate between postgresql.org
and postgresql.net... If people don't like to type long names, we can
always do automatic redirection between <projname>.postgresql.net,
postgresql.org/projects/<projname>, <projname>.projects.postgresql.org,
etc. Or even perhaps use tinyurl :-)

--
dave