Re: [NOVICE] JDBC driver & local server

From: Ron St-Pierre <rstpierre(at)syscor(dot)com>
To: stm23 <STM23(at)student(dot)canterbury(dot)ac(dot)nz>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] JDBC driver & local server
Date: 2004-03-09 16:03:52
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

stm23 wrote:

>hi
>
>i would have liked to install a new version of postgresql, but i haven't been
>able to configure it, having tryed many times - i value my sanity too highly
>
>however, i have discovered that i have version 7.3.2 installed. this must be
>the version that came with my Redhat 8.0 distribution. i need java support
>(for a 3rd year databases uni course). is it possible to build the JDBC
>driver on top of my current version? (maybe i have it, how could i find out?)
>
>also, when i type the command: psql
>i get:
>psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
> Is the server running locally and accepting
> connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
>
>how can i go about setting up a local server on this socket?
>
>thanx, i really appreciate any advice u can offer
>sam

>TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

You can get the jdbc driver from http://jdbc.postgresql.org/. To enable
tcp access change the following setting in postgresql.conf:
tcpip_socket = true
and you may have to change who is allowed access to the database in
pg_hba.conf (look right at the end, it's documented pretty well). Both
of these are in my pgsql/data directory, but may be in a different
location with a RedHat setup. Also, restart the database once changes
have been made.

You are trying to connect to the database as user postgres, right? (I
*think* that is the default for RedHat too).

Ron