JDBC driver & local server

From: stm23 <STM23(at)student(dot)canterbury(dot)ac(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: JDBC driver & local server
Date: 2004-03-09 06:14:15
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-novice
hi

i would have liked to install a new version of postgresql, but i haven't been
able to configure it, having tryed many times - i value my sanity too highly

however, i have discovered that i have version 7.3.2 installed.  this must be
the version that came with my Redhat 8.0 distribution. i need java support
(for a 3rd year databases uni course).  is it possible to build the JDBC
driver on top of my current version?  (maybe i have it, how could i find out?)

also, when i type the command: psql
i get:
psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

how can i go about setting up a local server on this socket?

thanx, i really appreciate any advice u can offer
sam

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Tony and Bryn ReinaDate: 2004-03-09 11:13:06