Re: Database Encryption (now required by law in Italy)

From: Radu-Adrian Popescu <radu(dot)popescu(at)aldratech(dot)com>
To: Silvana Di Martino <silvanadimartino(at)tin(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database Encryption (now required by law in Italy)
Date: 2004-03-05 09:10:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

Silvana Di Martino wrote:

| The new italian law about personal data protection (aka "privacy")
| requires the use of cryptography _both_ for protecting the network
| traffic _and_ for protecting the (personal) data stored on the hard
| disk.
|
| While I can see how to protect a PGSQL connection using SSH
| tunneling or a VPN, I cannot see any way to encrypt a PGSQL
| database stored on a hard disk, put aside the possibility to
| encrypt the hosting file system with LoopAES.
|
| Is there any (native/third party) tool for encrypting a PGSQL
| database on the disk? Is there any PGSQL option for encrypting data
| on the fly?
|
| Many thanks in advance for your attention.
|
| NOTE: the italian law on privacy ("Decreto Legge 196/03", Dicembre
| 2003) is available on the net:
|
| http://www.garanteprivacy.it http://www.interlex.it
|
| Of course, just in italian...
| ----------------------------------------- Alessandro Bottoni and
| Silvana Di Martino alessandrobottoni(at)interfree(dot)it
| silvanadimartino(at)tin(dot)it
|
| ---------------------------(end of
| broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 7: don't forget to
| increase your free space map settings

Are you sure you need to encrypt the _database_ ? It seems strange to
require encryption
of all the data, as you would get using LoopAES. I think you only need
to decide (and probably
the privacy protection law stipulates this) what data you need to
encrypt and store that data
encrypted in the database; such as customer's names, addresses, social
data, payment data
and so on. On the other hand, I think you should be doing this anyway.
I know we are :-)

Regards,

- --
Radu-Adrian Popescu