Re: [PERFORM] WAL Optimisation - configuration and usage

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, 'Rob Fielding' <rob(at)dsvr(dot)net>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers-pitr(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] WAL Optimisation - configuration and usage
Date: 2004-03-03 23:50:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-pitr pgsql-performance

Simon Riggs wrote:
> On the other hand, I was just about to change the wal_debug behaviour to
> allow better debugging of PITR features as they're added.

That's a development activity. Enabling the WAL_DEBUG #ifdef by
default during the 7.5 development cycle would be uncontroversial, I
think.

> I think it is very important to be able to put the system fairly
> easily into debug mode

It is? Why would this be useful for non-development activities?

(It may well be the case that we ought to report more or better
information about the status of the WAL subsystem; but WAL_DEBUG is
surely not the right mechanism for emitting information intended for
an administrator.)

-Neil