Re: postgreSQL licenseing

From: Alex Satrapa <alex(at)lintelsys(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgreSQL licenseing
Date: 2004-02-26 22:21:52
Lists: pgsql-general
David Garamond wrote:
> Which of the following count as "accessible in a reasonable way"?

The usual means that I have seen of making copyright licences accessible are to:
1) List all copyright clauses in the manual, under a single chapter. This is effectively an inventory of the licenced works used in the product.

2) List all copyright clauses in a file such as "licences.txt", which is also an inventory of licenced works used in the product.

3) Display all copyright clauses in the log file of a daemon.

4) Display the copyright clauses in the scrolling portion of a splash screen (ick!) or in the Help->About screen of a GUI

Having the licence hidden somewhere - eg as unused strings in a binary - doesn't seem to me to be "accessible in a reasonable way". Would you feel it was reasonable for a vendor to publish the instruction manual in this way?

Just by two bits worth
Alex Satrapa