Re: postgreSQL licenseing

From: David Garamond <lists(at)zara(dot)6(dot)isreserved(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "Tiptur, Sathish (MED)" <Sathish(dot)Tiptur(at)geind(dot)ge(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgreSQL licenseing
Date: 2004-02-26 15:50:27
Lists: pgsql-general

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>1) If we just ship the PostgreSQL binaries in our product(without
>>source code), do we need to include the BSD licence text anywhere?
>
> Yes. The license says "... provided that the above copyright notice and
> this paragraph and the following two paragraphs appear in all copies."
> Note that it doesn't say "provided that the notice is displayed in
> annoying ways", but it needs to be accessible in reasonable ways.

Which of the following count as "accessible in a reasonable way"?

1. in a separate text file, by itself (ala GPL's COPYING), but quite
deep within several levels of subdirectories (e.g. under bin/ or
etc/misc/license/).

2. in a binary (e.g. postgres.exe), that is, we modified the source code
slightly so that the copyright text is embedded in the final executable.
The executable is not compressed, so a "strings postgres" command could
view the copyright text.

3. in a separate program file (which is included along with postgres in
the distribution), in the Help > About menu or the splash screen, e.g.
"Portions of this program are licensed under the BSD License:
PostgreSQL, ..."

4. Only the URL to the license text is displayed, e.g.
http://www.mydomain.com/etc/license/BSD.txt.

--
dave