Panic involving a LC_COLLATE issue

From: Marco Gaiani <mgaiani(at)fundacite(dot)arg(dot)gov(dot)ve>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Panic involving a LC_COLLATE issue
Date: 2004-02-20 17:45:40
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi all,

I have experienced a distressing problem lately with my hosting provider
(they run RedHat), they had to downgrade their version of Postgresql
from 7.3.4 to 7.3.3 due to 7.3.4 "crashing" constantly. Instead of doing
a pg_dump of my databases they copied the data directory somewhere else
as data_old and went on with the downgrade of Postgres. They have not
been able to restore my databases but sent me a copy of the data directory.

I have tried to mount it with Mandrake 9.2 and Postgres 7.3.3 but I get
this error:

DEBUG:  FindExec: searching PATH ...
DEBUG:  ValidateBinary: can't stat "/bin/postgres"
DEBUG:  FindExec: found "/usr/bin/postgres" using PATH
DEBUG:  invoking IpcMemoryCreate(size=983040)
PANIC:  The database cluster was initialized with LC_COLLATE
'en_US.iso885915',
        which is not recognized by setlocale().
        It looks like you need to initdb.
Aborted

Any ideas on how to solve this, desesperatly yours

--
Marco Gaiani
Unidad de PromociĆ³n y Relaciones