Creating constraint sometime fail in a transaction

From: Olivier Hubaut <olivier(at)scmbb(dot)ulb(dot)ac(dot)be>
To: PgSQL SQL <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Creating constraint sometime fail in a transaction
Date: 2004-02-20 15:49:57
Lists: pgsql-sql
Hi,

I've a strange bug on PgSQL 7.3.3 with function, constraints and
transactions.

As the foreign key are too heavy for a massive insert, even set defered,
we've decided to put them in a function in order to enable/disable them.

So, in such a transaction, first we disable the constraints, using a
function, then inserting all the data, and afterall put the constraints
back with another function.

This work fine and quickly... if we do it once. But, when we tried to
make a big batch with a lot of such transaction, sometime, some
constraint aren't put back or drop, and the rest of the transactions falls.

So, we're wondering if the action for putting/removing constraint could
be executed out of the transaction, so that it may overlaps and crash in
such case.

Does anyone notice the same problem?

--
Signature en cours de maintenance,