Re: undefined reference to _sys_nerr

From: Enrique Perez Terron <enrique(dot)perez(dot)terron(at)Teknometri(dot)no>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: juhan(at)suhkur(dot)cc(dot)ioc(dot)ee
Subject: Re: undefined reference to _sys_nerr
Date: 2000-06-16 19:48:06
Lists: pgsql-ports
I have run into the same sequence of problems as Juhan Ernits,
and I still do not have a solution.

I just tried a few commands that might shed some light on the problem of
undefined sys_nerr:

	bash-2.04$ nm /lib/libc.a | grep errno
	00000000 ? __imp__h_errno
	00000000 T ___errno
	00000000 ? __imp____errno

	bash-2.04$ nm /lib/libc.a | grep sys_nerr
	00000000 ? __imp___sys_nerr

We see that the C library does define errno, but not sys_nerr.

Searching the other libraries I found that sys_nerr and sys_errlist are both
in the libraries /usr/lib/libmsvcrt20.a and /usr/lib/libmsvcrt40.a

I do not know what these libraries are for, or why sys_errlist is not in
does anyone have a hint?

(Oh, could be that msvcrt stands for Microsoft Visual C Runtime?)

If libc does not have sys_errlist, where does strerror() get its data from?
Should we rather rely on strerror to check the validity of the argument,
and output the alternative string only if strerror returns a null pointer
or a pointer to an empty string?

Enrique Perez-Terron

Juhan Ernits <Juhan(at)suhkur(dot)cc(dot)ioc(dot)ee> wrote:
>System is NT4 SP6, cygwin 1.1, gcc 2.95.2, PG7RC2.
>Having fixed the dllmain problem, I got the following one:
>The step that assembles postgres.exe fails with the following messages:
>utils/SUBSYS.o(text+0x42de7):elog.c: undefined reference to '_sys_nerr'
>utils/SUBSYS.o(text+0x437b3):exc.c: undefined reference to '_sys_nerr'
>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>make[1]: *** [postgres] Error 1
>How should one cope with that?
>Juhan Ernits

pgsql-ports by date

Next:From: Ryan KirkpatrickDate: 2000-06-18 22:43:03