column "oid" does not exist

From: Matthew and Karen Brown <browns(at)usadatanet(dot)net>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: column "oid" does not exist
Date: 2004-02-15 01:18:51
Lists: pgsql-odbc
I have been searching for a couple of hours now and cannot seem to find
a resolution to my problem other than to recreate my tables with OIDs
turned on. So hear goes...

I get the error message in the subject whenever I attempt to use an
application that supports ODBC to access a user table in my database.
When I create a table using "WITH OIDS", I have no problems viewing the
table with any application. But when I use "WITHOUT OIDS", the only two
applications that I have found that will work are MSQuery and MSAccess.
(I am trying to use Avery DesignPro and OpenOffice without success.)

The things that I have tried (beside pounding my head against a wall)
are just about all of the options in the configuration dialog and, of
course, different applications. My use of PostgreSQL here is dependent
upon my being able to get ODBC to work reliably. Why does it even care
about selecting the OID field? All of the notes I have seen seem to
indicate that its necessity is largely gone and certainly not relevant
for anything that I am doing.

Why would some apps be able to run a simple select query without
generating this error while others cannot? I assume that the difference
is in the way the ODBC calls are made by the client app. If this is so,
why does not the driver handle this circumstance more elegantly?

In a possibly related issue, when I select from a view using these same
apps, I get the error "colum ctid does not exist". Is this the same issue?

I would like to follow the suggestions related to not using OIDs, but
this one has me stumped.

Grateful for any help,

-- Matt

pgsql-odbc by date

Next:From: Georgi KolevDate: 2004-02-15 14:39:07