Re: PHP/Postgresql Advocacy

From: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: David Costa <geeks(at)dotgeek(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PHP/Postgresql Advocacy
Date: 2004-02-14 08:47:12
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-www
Hi!

David Costa wrote:
> my name is David Costa and I am the operator of a not for profit
> website, dotgeek.org (http://dotgeek.org).
> This is not my main occupation. I am a full time Professor in a private
> graduate college here in Switzerland
> and a direct contributor to PHP via Pear http://pear.php.net/user/gurugeek
>
> Dotgeek is focusing on PHP Development and Free Open Source PHP
> Certification. Just today we started to host an official mirror of
> postgresql and
> I am extremely trilled by the array of possible advocacy toward  PHP
> developers.
>
> I have a number of plans for postgresql advocacy:

I think that the most urgent thing in PostgreSQL advocacy is the update of its
web presence. Right now all the advocacy ends as soon as someone clicks on the
link and sees the abomination that is postgresql.org

I am already working on the changes to website, just can't get any comments from
the people who should (supposedly) be more interested in it than myself.

If you are interested in helping, too, then here's how:
1) There is a well-hidden closed list for website development: pgsql-www. You
can send a subscription request to it. If you pester the important people long
enough on more public mailing lists (like here), your subscripion will be
approved quite fast.
2) There is a module on gborg, it is called pgweb and contains most of the code
for the website. Of course, database schema is conveniently hidden, but if you
pester the important people long enough, you can have it.
3) Consult the archives for pgsql-www for the pointers on the things already
done and that still need to be done. Comment on them.

The most needed thing right now IMO is a professional looking design for the
postgresql.org website. As Marc told me, the current one was done by his two
year old child using crayons.