Re: Indexes generated for primary key are not show

From: Constantin Stefanov <cstef(at)mail(dot)ru>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Indexes generated for primary key are not show
Date: 2004-02-11 09:51:35
Lists: pgadmin-support

Andreas Pflug wrote:

> Well it's not really hard, just some things to think of. And the longer
> I think about it, and looking at your example, I'd say people analyzing
> a query should know a little what pgsql is doing, e.g. that unique and
> primary constraints include an index. Thus I tend to say we'll stay with
> what we got now.
I can't completely agree with you. I use only PostgreSQL, but I used to
help my colleague working with Oracle (he was a novice), and I looked at
his result of EXPLAIN (it was different from what PostgreSQL gives, but
quite clear). I am not sure that in every database engine PRIMARY KEY
constraint is implemented using index. So you give some astonishment to
people not familiar with PostgreSQL but familiar with some other DBMS
and able to understand result of EXPLAIN.

--
Constantin Stefanov