Re: Connection string problems

From: "Gary Doades" <gpd(at)gpdnet(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, cgg007(at)yahoo(dot)com
Subject: Re: Connection string problems
Date: 2004-02-09 21:24:10
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Quick (ish) answer. I am currently investigating migrating from SQLServer to
PostgresSQL. I could edit my source code (around 150,000 lines in 40 assemblies) to
refer to PgSqlConnection, PgSqlCommand etc.etc. but I may also want to have the
option of other backends. If I use ODBC I have minimal changes to make to the source
modules to get this done.

I ported over a 500 MB database from SQLServer to PostgreSQL yesterday (80 tables,
well normalised)

All my performance testing between SQLServer with Native drivers and ODBC gives
marginal (5-10%) performance differences. In some cases ODBC is faster! Similar
results with PostgreSQL.

I used your suggestion on the connection string and I get back:

DRIVER={PostgreSQL};DATABASE=webroster;SERVER=192.168.1.102;PORT=5432;U
ID=postgres;ReadOnly=0;Protocol=6.4;FakeOidIndex=0;ShowOidColumn=0;RowVersio
ning=0;ShowSystemTables=0;ConnSettings=;Fetch=100;Socket=4096;UnknownSizes=
0;MaxVarcharSize=254;MaxLongVarcharSize=8190;Debug=0;CommLog=0;Optimizer=0
;Ksqo=0;UseDeclareFetch=0;TextAsLongVarchar=1;UnknownsAsLongVarchar=0;Bools
AsChar=1;Parse=0;CancelAsFreeStmt=0;ExtraSysTablePrefixes=dd_;;LFConversion=1;
UpdatableCursors=1;DisallowPremature=0;TrueIsMinus1=0;BI=0;ByteaAsLongVarBinar
y=0;UseServerSidePrepare=0

Which acually works! Do you think I need all the extra stuff? I guess I might just start
removing things until it breaks again to see what is the minimum I can get away with.