Re: MySQL+InnoDB vs. PostgreSQL test?

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL+InnoDB vs. PostgreSQL test?
Date: 2004-02-03 01:47:04
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-performance
Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I've had requests from a couple of businesses to see results of infomal MySQL
> +InnoDB vs. PostgreSQL tests.    I know that we don't have the setup to do
> full formal benchmarking, but surely someone in our community has gone
> head-to-head on your own application?

Josh,

how does someone compare an Apache+PHP+MySQL "thing" against something
implemented with half the stuff done in stored procedures and the entire
business model guarded by referential integrity, custom triggers and
whatnot?

Seriously, I am tired of this kind of question. You gotta get bold
enough to stand up in a "meeting" like that, say "guy's, you can ask me
how this compares to Oracle ... but if you're seriously asking me how
this compares to MySQL, call me again when you've done your homework".

Jan