Re: Help: System requirements for postgresql 7.4.1

From: Thierry Missimilly <THIERRY(dot)MISSIMILLY(at)BULL(dot)NET>
To: Juan Carlos Diez <jdiez(at)eluniversal(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help: System requirements for postgresql 7.4.1
Date: 2004-01-30 08:07:19
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

In fact it is difficult to answer to that questions as they depend of how big is your database, how many simultaneous connections you
have, ... etc
But, I can help you by giving you my results on a Bi-CPU Xeon 2.6 GHz , 4 Gb RAM, external 2 x RAID0 on four disks each with Redhat
9.0.

1) Connections : This system support easily 500 simultaneous connections. The performances decrease only by 11 % between 100 users and
500 users.

2) Database size : This is a bit more complex. If your database size is 700 Mb (less << RAM size) the performances are very good. But
when the database size is bigger than the RAM size, the I/O increased rapidly and your system spend time in Wait I/O state. For
example, I have noted that from 700 Mb to 7 Gb the performances drop by 65% on my 4 GB memory machine. That' s don't means they are
bad but that means that if you want to improve performances on very big Database you should have to spend money to increase the I/O
throughput instead of bought more CPUs.
Please note that this remarks is valid on other RDBMS, even on commercial RDBMS.
Please note too, that there is about 30 % of performance gain between SCSI internal disks and an external RAID0 Chaparral LUN.

About the software, I have preferred to install my own downloaded Postgres 7.4 version as the Database Redhat package is a less recent
Postgres version (7.2 or 7.3) and a lot of things have been improved in the 7.4. Further more, I prefer to install all Postgres bin
and lib in /usr/local/pgsql than in /usr/bin and /usr/lib.

Thierry Missimilly

Juan Carlos Diez wrote:

> Hello, I'm evaluating that version and I can't find system requirements for it. Could anybody please help me with these questions?
>
> 1.1. Hardware:
> 1.1.1. C.P.U. (how many processors, what speed)
> 1.1.2. Ram. (minimum and desired)
> 1.1.3. Disk.
> 1.1.4. Networking.
> 1.1.5. Scalability
>
> 1.2. Software:
> 1.2.1. OS. (wich versions and patches are required for linux and solaris)
> 1.2.2. Required software packages.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Best regards,
>
> JCD.

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Attachment Content-Type Size
THIERRY.MISSIMILLY.vcf text/x-vcard 359 bytes