Re: On the performance of views

From: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar(at)frodo(dot)hserus(dot)net>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: On the performance of views
Date: 2004-01-28 08:43:55
Lists: pgsql-performance pgsql-sql

Josh Berkus wrote:

> Bill,
>

>>Some functions they prototyped in MSSQL even return different types, based
>>on certian parameters, I'm not sure how I'll do this in Postgres, but I'll
>>have to figure something out.
>

> We support that as of 7.4.1 to an extent; check out "Polymorphic Functions".

To my understanding, polymorphism means more than one function with same name
but different signature(Sorry C++ days!!).

That still can not return rwos of two types in one call. At any moment, rowset
returned by a function call would be homogenous.

Is MSSQL allows to mix rows of two types in single function invocation, I am
sure that would be a hell lot of porting trouble..

Just a thought..

Shridhar