Re: Patch to readd documentation

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Patch to readd documentation
Date: 2004-01-27 03:12:33
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Oliver Jowett wrote:
>
>>Can we do a build target that just validates the doc source and
>>doesn't actually generate documentation from it? If I understand
>>things correctly, that'd make quick documentation changes easier in
>>that you don't need additional tools installed, but you can still
>>check you didn't irretrievably break things before checking in..
>

> To my first approximation, validating the documentation is not any
> easier than processing it when considering the tools that need to be
> installed and configured.

I think you should be able to validate the docs at the XML level using
just the XML libraries provided with recent JDKs (I'll check if this
works shortly). We do need the DocBook XML DTDs available to properly
validate the document, but that seems less onerous than needing a recent
XSLT processor plus DocBook stylesheets.

Ant has a XMLValidate task that might be useful here.

-O