Re: Using gettext for JDBC translations

From: Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using gettext for JDBC translations
Date: 2004-01-26 14:24:58
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Kris Jurka wrote:
> a) Should we use gettext?

I don't yet have an opinion on this.

> b) What should the requirements be for developers, translators, and
> average users who want to compile the driver be?

developers:  shouldn't require extra tools

translators: need to install whatever it takes

average users (who build from source):  shoultn't require extra tools

average users (who use prebuilt binaries): not an issue

One category that I think is important but not in your list is those who
provide various distributions (i.e. the rpms, etc).  I don't have a good
feeling if these are built from source or use the prebuilt binaries (I
suspect some of both).  We shouldn't require them to install a bunch of
extra stuff in order to build from source as that would discourage them
from including the jdbc driver at all.  We already require them to have
ant and a jdk which already may be too much for a non-java aware
distribution maintainer to track down and install.

So I guess I am leaning towards having the .class files in CVS and then
only the translators and those who really need to see the results of
translation changes need to do anything extra.

thanks,
--Barry