Re: High Performance/High Reliability File system on SuSE64

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: High Performance/High Reliability File system on SuSE64
Date: 2004-01-23 22:57:46
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-performance
>Well, I'd point to one major factor with RHAT; they employ Stephen
>Tweedie, creator of ext3, and have been paying him to work on it for
>some time now.  If they _didn't_ promote use of ext3, they would be
>very much vulnerable to the "won't eat their own dogfood" criticism.

True but frankly, they shouldn't. EXT3 has some serious issues. In fact
if you are running a stock RH kernel before 2.4.20 you can destroy your
PostgreSQL database with it.

Not to mention how slow it is ;)

>>XFS has been around a LONG time, and on Linux for a couple of years
>>now.  Plus I believe it is the default FS for all of the really high
>>end stuff SGI is doing with Linux.
>>

>Ah, but there is a bit of a 'problem' nonetheless; XFS is not
>'officially supported' as part of the Linux kernel until version 2.6,
>which is still pretty "bleeding edge."

That is not true see:

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/1751

>Until 2.6 solidifies a bit
>more (aside: based on experiences with 2.6.0, "quite a lot more"), it
>is a "patchy" add-on to the 'stable' 2.4 kernel series.

Again see above :)

>Do the patches work?  As far as I have heard, quite well indeed.  But
>the fact of it not having been 'official' is a fair little bit of a
>downside.

What is official?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake