Re: Version Numbering -- The great debate

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Version Numbering -- The great debate
Date: 2004-08-01 00:14:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Even if Savepoints don't make it, we'll still have:

Savepoints are in, as is exception-trapping in functions (at least
plpgsql, the other PLs are on their own :-().

Some other major improvements you didn't mention:

Cross-datatype comparisons are indexable (at least for common
combinations); this solves a huge performance gotcha

Dependency-aware pg_dump

Much more complete support for rowtype operations

> This is more features worth mentioning than we've ever had in a single release
> before -- and if you consider several add-ons which have been
> implemented/improved at the same time (Slony, PL/Java, etc.) it's even more
> momentous.   If this isn't 8.0, then what will be?

I tend to agree, and was about to bring up the point myself.