Re: [press] UltraSQL for Windows released

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)ufgnet(dot)ufg(dot)br>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, jclift(at)ims(dot)telstra(dot)com(dot)au, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, press(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [press] UltraSQL for Windows released
Date: 2004-01-19 16:50:28
Lists: pgsql-www

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Euler Taveira de Oliveira wrote:
>
>> Hi

>> > Why? Is someone using the logo maliciously that we need to worry about?
>> >

>> No, but if we associate 'SomeProductSQL' to the PostgreSQL Logo, it
>> seems that it is *in fact* PostgreSQL and it's not!
>
> Isn't it? Its PostgreSQL packaged for Windows, no? Same software, just
> packaged for easy install ... the only thing I think should be different
> is that the logo be clickable back to the main web site ... but they do
> state that its a "native Windows port of PostgreSQL database." so it isn't
> as if they are trying to hide it ...

Not exactly. It is the NuSphere (AKA PeerDirect) native Win32 port of
PostgreSQL, which is based on 7.2.1 (they didn't even bother to apply a
7.2.1 - 7.2.4 delta yet). I don't think the full source code is
available and the stuff is not at all peer reviewed by the PostgreSQL
community.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #