Re: Animated advertisement banners

From: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Animated advertisement banners
Date: 2004-01-15 09:07:37
Lists: pgsql-www
Hi!

Dave Page wrote:
>>>Sure if someone comes up with some new ones.
>>
>>Why not just use text links instead of banners?
>
> Because we offer the banner ads for a number of reasons. The ones on the
> left are given free to mirror providers by way of thanks, and sold to
> anyone else with an appropriate company or product to raise funds. The
> ads on the right are given freely to any open source project related to
> PostgreSQL in some way.

I understand why they are there, but I want to reiterate: the same ads can be
given in text blocks and they won't make the site look *this* unprofessional.

As for the mirrors, the approach taken by PHP[1], where the image is shown on
the appropriate mirror seems more reasonable.

[1] http://www.php.net/mirroring.php