Re: Sure enough, the lock file is gone

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sure enough, the lock file is gone
Date: 2001-01-26 21:49:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Bruce Momjian writes:
>> If we have to do it, let's make it an #ifdef __linux__ option.

> What does Linux have to do with it? FreeBSD does the same thing, only
> every three days. I dont' know whether it's not enabled on a fresh
> install, but it's there, you only need to flip the switch. I doubt /tmp
> cleaning is such an unusual thing, especially on large sites.

Yes, there are lots of systems that will clean /tmp --- and since the
lock file is an ordinary file (not a socket) pretty much any tmp-cleaner
is going to decide to remove it. I think that I had intended to insert
a periodic touch of the lockfile and forgot to.

Touching it every time through ServerLoop is an overreaction though.
I'd suggest touching it in the checkpoint-process-firing code, which
runs every five minutes (or so?) by default.