psql Automatic login In Bash Script

From: Sai Hertz And Control Systems <sank89(at)sancharnet(dot)in>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: psql Automatic login In Bash Script
Date: 2004-01-13 19:47:41
Lists: pgsql-admin
Dear all ,

I know this is a wrong list to for this post

Anyways

We use bash script for database maintainace and  implimenting new
schema in the production database
the script goes as
<code>
#!/bin/sh
until [ "$uname" ]
do
read -s uname
done
until [ "$pass"  ]
do
read -s pass
done
psql -U $uname mydatabase -f  ./my_functions.sql
psql -U $uname mydatabase -f  ./my_tables.sql
psql -U $uname mydatabase -f  ./my_views.sql
</code>
The problem is psql has no option  such that I can pass on the variable
$pass for password
and as you can see I have to type in  password three times  (in real
case 10 times)

What I need is since password be stored in the bash variable for  once I
may pass on the variable with password to
psql
pg_dump
pg_restore
and my database migration would go smothly

Also would not like to set ~/.pgpass

Would be greateful  to you all  for any kinda help .

Regards,
Vishal Kashyap

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Sai Hertz And Control SystemsDate: 2004-01-13 20:00:40