Re: 2003 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Award

From: Sai Hertz And Control Systems <sank89(at)sancharnet(dot)in>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 2003 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Award
Date: 2004-01-13 11:51:55
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Dear Christopher Browne ,

>I don't think that has much of anything to do with anything.
>
>Look at the statistics in the poll.
>
>There were only a total of 1111 votes.
>
>In the case of Firebird, there are some 78 developers listed on
>SourceForge; if each of them tells three friends to go vote for
>Firebird, that quickly gets them towards their 403 votes.
>
>The size of the constituency of voters has two _vital_ problems:
>
> 1. It is tiny and self-selecting, thus making it highly likely to
> be unrepresentative;
>
> 2. Furthermore, it is highly susceptible to "ballot-stuffing."
>
>Drawing grand conclusions based on a tiny, clearly biasable sample at
>a somewhat obscure web site is just silly.

Ok , fine I consider this to be silly as we cannot make conclusion
"based on a tiny, clearly biasable sample at
a somewhat obscure web site is just silly."

Just answer one thing , would have you reacted in the same manner if
PostgreSQL was voted to FIRST place.

The answer quite obvious is NO :-) instead we (including
myself) would have indulged in self pride.

>Remember, that web site did NOT count any information about
>"PostgreSQL adoption;" all it did was to ask people to "vote" for
>whatever database they wanted to see win the vote.

So very few or no one decided that PostgreSQL should win.
In either case if you belive you vote else sionara.

Anyways lets decide that if their exist any such survey again on NET
ask the community to vote for it.

Regards,
Vishal Kashyap