Re: Website and "open development"

From: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Website and "open development"
Date: 2004-01-12 14:38:17
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi!

Robert Treat wrote:
> Well, I guess I ought to respond to this. Of course a little bit of searching
> the archives would have given you these answers, but it's ok, it's not like I
> have anything else to do. (Whats that? Weekly News? Huh?)

Well, thanks for the response. But consider: if this was published on
the website in an easily accessible way...

>>1) There is no public maillist (I presume) for discussion of website
>>matters.
>
> pgsql-www is the list, archives available on the archive website.
> (archives.postgresql.org)

This is Yet Another list that is not mentioned on Mailing Lists page at
all...

> 2) If there are actually people who are responsible for the
>>websites (I am starting to doubt) why don't they respond to suggestions in
>>the public maillists?
>
> Most of us are so busy that we barely have time to work on the website itself.
> much less follow all of the mailing lists and give personal responses to
> every suggestion that is made. (I'll admit that this is unfortunate, but just
> wishing it weren't so doesn't actually make the problem go away).

A good idea would be to mention this somewhere, so that people willing
to help are able to find this info without asking again.

>>There is a talk now about doing marketing materials. Excuse me, but the
>>goal of these materials is to lure people to the website. And the website
>>in its current state will frighten them to death.
>
> Well, you're more clued in now, if you're willing to roll up your sleeves take
> a look at the www and portal modules of CV and send an email to the web
> mailing list.

Yes, thanks for the info. I had a look on the website code and must
admit that it looks messy...

I'll try implementing the usability improvements I suggested and then
announce the results on pgsql-www. If the reaction is positive, I'll
create patches.