Re: Problem connecting from Windows 9x/Me

From: Harry Sufehmi <milis-2(at)harrysufehmi(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem connecting from Windows 9x/Me
Date: 2005-04-29 08:06:19
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi,

I've tried creating a table link in Access automatically (so my users won't
have to). Unfortunately, it still unable to connect.

I've done further investigation on the ODBC trace logs, and it seems the
difference is here:

Success:
======================================
sir fffaa095-fff4e88d ENTER SQLDriverConnectW
HDBC 07A70D54
HWND 000005F4
WCHAR * 0x1F7D8B70 [ -3] "******\ 0"
SWORD -3
WCHAR * 0x1F7D8B70
SWORD 8
SWORD * 0x00000000
UWORD 1 <SQL_DRIVER_COMPLETE>
sir fffaa095-fff4e88d EXIT SQLDriverConnectW with
return code 0 (SQL_SUCCESS)
======================================

Failed:
======================================
sir fffaa095-fff4e88d ENTER SQLDriverConnectW
HDBC 07A70080
HWND 000005F4
WCHAR * 0x1F7D8B70 [ -3] "******\ 0"
SWORD -3
WCHAR * 0x1F7D8B70
SWORD 8
SWORD * 0x00000000
UWORD 3 <SQL_DRIVER_COMPLETE_REQUIRED>
sir fffaa095-fff4e88d EXIT SQLDriverConnectW with
return code -1 (SQL_ERROR)
======================================

However, I noted that the connection from a Windows 2000 machine (which
never encounter this issue) uses SQL_DRIVER_COMPLETE_REQUIRED parameter as
well (and it connects just fine). So probably that's not the culprit.

A discussion I found mentioned about the ODBC driver using Unicode,
therefore causing problems on Windows9x/Me machines.
I wonder if that's the case here as well.

Those are my findings so far.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Harry