Psql syntax run within java code

From: Pei-Chieh Shen <peshen(at)cisco(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: peshen(at)cisco(dot)com
Subject: Psql syntax run within java code
Date: 2004-05-06 04:21:35
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I have a problem with running a psql command from within my java application. I am pretty sure it is a syntax problem, but the same command run at the sql interface works.

Here is my syntax:

strQueryForExportDump = "psql -d car -c 'select id from pegs1' ";
objProcess=objCurrentRuntime.exec(strCommand);
BufferedInputStream in = new BufferedInputStream(objProcess.getInputStream());
byte [] b = new byte[80];
in.read(b,0,30);
String cmdOut = new String(b);
System.out.println("cmd out1 is " + cmdOut);

byte []er = new byte[580];
BufferedInputStream err = new BufferedInputStream(objProcess.getErrorStream());
err.read(er,0,580);
String cmdErr = new String(er);
System.out.println("err stream is " + cmdErr);

This is the output I see from the log:

dump str is psql -d car -c 'select id from pegs1;'
cmd out1 is
err stream is psql: warning: extra command-line argument "from" ignored
psql: warning: extra command-line argument "pegs1;'" ignored
psql: FATAL: user "id" does not exist

Please help.

Peggy