Re: Fwd: building the client libraries with gcc?

From: Jerry Asher <jerry(at)hollyjerry(dot)org>
To: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-Cygwin <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fwd: building the client libraries with gcc?
Date: 2001-06-05 21:28:20
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

. . .

>I thought that I was providing you for what you were looking in
>postgresql-7.1.2-1-win32.tar.gz.

Oh absolutely, and thank you, but as you've pointed out it's untested,
right? And I assume that in the medium to long term you'd rather not have
me come pester you for this update or that debuggable version, etc.

> Let's say that in the very long run, I convert the pg client libs back to a
> > cygwin/gcc/make compatible format. Where should I go to contribute
> that back?
>
>Why are you asking me the above? This kind of question is much more
>appropriate for one of the PostgreSQL mailing lists.

Um, but I thought this was a postgres mailing list....

Anyway, I think this next line of yours is the key to my answers.....

>BTW, the pg
>client libs already exist in cygwin/gcc/make compatible format.

Okay, so I'm wearing my moron hat for the next three hours. I read the
client lib instructions (in doc/src/sgml/install-win32.sgml) that basically
say that client libs require VC++ to build, and I left it at that, and
didn't check the directory to find the obvious Makefile.

Thank you,

Jerry

Jerry Asher jerry(at)hollyjerry(dot)org
1678 Shattuck Avenue Suite 161 Tel: (510) 549-2980
Berkeley, CA 94709 Fax: (877) 311-8688